Great Dog Stories

click here to return to our home page

“My Beloved Poilus”


The Dog who Saved His Master's Life.

"I must tell you about the wonderful dog that is at the American Ambulance; perhaps you have read about him in some of the papers. His master came from Algeria, and of course did not expect to take his dog with him, but when the ship left the wharf the dog jumped into the sea and swam after it, so they put off a boat and hauled him on board, and he has been with his master all through the war. He was in the trenches with him, and one day a German shell burst in the trench and killed all of his companions and buried this man in the mud and dirt as well as injuring him terribly. Strange to say the dog was not hurt at all, and the first thing the man remembered was the dog digging the mud off his face. As soon as he realized his master was alive he ran off for help, and when they were brought into the Ambulance together there were not many dry eyes about. After he was sure his master was being taken care of he consented to go and be fed, and now he is having the time of his life. He is the most important person in the place. He has a beautiful new collar and medal, lives in the diet kitchen, and is taken out to walk by the nurses, and best of all is allowed to see his master every day. I will send a photo of him to you. His master has lost one leg, the other is terribly crushed, and one hand also,

but the doctor thinks he can save them."         


Snickers The Hero

Snickers is a 4-year-old, male, Border Collie/Pointer cross, that owner Gregory Gould brought home in February of 2012.   Greg adopted the dog from a previous owner, but he had no idea at the time that, in turn, Snickers would save Greg's life.

In the early morning hours of March 19, 2012, Constable Rob Garnett and his partner were called to investigate a local complaint regarding a dog pacing in a resident's driveway, barking incessantly, and blocking their repeated attempts to leave for work. Upon arriving at the scene, he and his partner encountered Snickers, who was obviously agitated. A dog lover himself, Constable Garnett immediately recognized this as unusual behaviour and questioned the resident who had placed the call. New to the neighborhood they hadn't met everyone just yet, however, thanks in large part to a tip provided by their daughter, it was concluded that the dog lived next door. Constable Garnett went to knock on the door, and Snickers followed closely. After banging on the door several times with no response, he peered through a window and saw Gregory Gould unconscious on his living-room floor. Mr. Gould suffers from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and depends on an assisted breathing machine. The levels on his machine weren't on the correct setting, which had knocked him unconscious. As he lay there, he was slowly suffocating. The constable and his partner immediately sprang into action, breaking through the front door, assessing the situation, and calling paramedics. Snickers sat by Mr. Gould's side as they waited for medical help to arrive.

At this point, Constable Garnett started looking around the house, and uncovered Snickers' escape route: the glass in the back screen door was shattered and the latch had been triggered. Based on his observations, he concluded that Snickers, in a determined effort to get help for his owner, had thrown his body repeatedly against the screen door until he was able to escape to the backyard. Once outside, Snickers then ran to the back corner of the yard where some weaker, cross hatched fencing had been put up.   He had broken through that as well. All of this happened at approximately 3 a.m., which means that Snickers had sought help for upwards of two hours. He was drawn to the neighbors home when their lights went on around 5 a.m.

Thanks to Snickers' keen intuition, persistence, physical strength and determination, Mr. Gould received the medical attention he needed in the nick of time. Doctors said that if he had remained on his living room floor for one hour longer, he would not have survived.

Delta Of Pompeii

Delta was found alongside the remains of a young boy in the ruins of Pompeii. The remains show clearly that Delta was trying to protect his master, a young boy named Serverinus, from the devastation caused by the volcano. A collar around Delta’s neck revealed that this was not the first time he had tried to save Serverinus. Engraved on the collar was Delta's name and that Delta had saved Severinus three times. Once he pulled the boy out of the ocean and saved him from drowning. Another time Delta fought off four robbers who assaulted Severinus. And that Delta protected the boy from an angry wolf. His last act of heroism at Pompeii, however, was not enough. But, almost miraculously, Delta’s heroism is immortalized in the ruins of Pompeii.

Genie The Heroic Greyhound

Genie was a rescued greyhound at the age of 11. She was newly retired after 5 years of running and 5 years of breeding. Her new owners Neena & Tim Derf were real happy with their new dog. Genie was taken to the vet for her annual shots on Sunday afternoon.  That night, at about 3:30 A.M., she came into the bedroom and woke Neena up. She never does that! I thought she was sick from the shots, and got up to take her out. To my shock, I found my husband, passed out at the other end of the house. He had an internal bleeding problem, and had hemorrhaged to the point that he was ten minutes from death. Yes, I would have slept through it, if it weren't for our miracle girl, Genie!

Gander The Newfoundland Dog War Hero

Gander, formerly named Pal, was acquired as mascot, by the Royal Rifles of Canada, who were stationed in Gander, Newfoundland during WW2. Pal had accidentally scratched a child and his owners, upset by the incident, offered him to the Royal Rifles. In 1941, during the WW2, the Royal Rifles of Canada were sent, along with Gander, to Hong Kong Island to defend the island against Japanese attacks. On one occasion, Gander charged Japanese soldiers as they were approaching some wounded Canadian soldiers; most likely saving the soldiers' lives. Gander's final act of bravery cost him his own life, but saved the lives of the men he was with. On December 19, 1941, during the Battle of Lye Mun on Hong Kong Island. During the attack, Gander picked up a grenade that had landed next to a group of soldiers and carried it away. The grenade exploded, instantly killing Gander.

Gander was posthumously awarded the Dickin Medal on October 27, 2000. Gander's medal is on permanent display in the Hong Kong section of the Canadian War Museum.

Red The Brave Sled Dog

In Anchorage, Alaska in 1959 a female sled dog named Red fought a bloody battle witha polar bear to save the life of Col. E. Feathers, the Alaska Air Command. The colonel met the275 pound bear in the afternoon semi-darkness. The bear lunged and the colonel tried to make it to his quarters but he could not get much traction in the snow. Just when it seemed the bear was on top of me, Red attacked him from the rear. While the bear was trying to kill Red a member of the station staff slew the big beast with his revolver. Red was mauled severely but survived.

Villa, The Newfoundland, Ken-L Ration Dog Of The Year 1983

During a severe blizzard in Villas, New Jersey, eleven year old Andrea Anderson wasblown into a large snowdrift about forty feet from her home. Disoriented, blinded by theblowing 60 mile per hour winds full of snow, she began to scream for help. Villa, a 1 year old black Newfoundland puppy belonging to Mrs. Lynda Veit, heard Andrea's cries and leaped over the five foot fence surrounding her. Villa ran eighty feet to the snowdrift, found Andrea,and licked her face. Then she circled the girl to clear the snow

entrapping her. Once Andreawas free, Villa cleared a path for her through the blinding snow and led her to the front door of Andrea's house.

Reona Ken-L Ration Dog Of The Year 1989

Reona , a Rottweiler left her house and jumped over three fences to come to the aid of 5-year old Vivian Cooper during an earthquake. Vivian has epilepsy, and over excitement could bring on a life threatening seizure. Once in the house Reona pushed the little girl up against the kitchen cabinets and held her there. Moments later a large microwave was shaken of the top of a refrigerator, falling in the exact spot that Vivian had just been. Vivian held onto Reona during the earthquake with her head buried into the big dog's fur. For her heroism Reona was the Ken-L Ration Dog Hero of the Year in 1989.


Shep Fort Benton's Famous Dog

In 1936 a sheepherder fell ill while tending his flock and was brought to the St. Clare Hospital in Fort Benton, Montana. A sheep dog had followed the herder into town and soon set up a vigil at the hospital's door. The sheepherder died and the herder's family requested that his body be sent back home. On that August day the undertaker put the body on the train for shipment to his waiting relatives. As the gurney was rolled out onto the platform, a big gaunt shepherd dog with watchful eyes appeared out of nowhere and watched as the casket was loaded into the car. Attendants later recalled the dog whining as the door slammed shut and the engine slowly started to pull away from the station, then head down, turning and trotting down the tracks. On that day the dog, later

named Shep, began a five-and-a-half year vigil that was only broken by his death. Day after day, meeting four trains daily, Shep became a fixture on the platform. He eyed each passenger hopefully, and was often chased off as a mongrel but never completely discouraged. Neither the heat of summer days nor the bitter Montana winter days prevented Shep from meeting the next train. As Shep's fame spread, people came from everywhere to see him. Shep was an older dog when he came to the station house in Fort Benton. Throughout his vigil the long nights under the platform and the coldwinter had taken their toll.  Stiff-legged and hard of hearing, Shep failed to hear old 235 as it rolled into the station at 10:17 that cold winter morning. He turned to look when the engine was almost upon him, moved to get out of the way, and slipped on the icy rails. Shep's long vigil had ended Shep's funeral was held two days later. He was laid to rest on the bluff overlooking the station where his long wait had been in vain.

Brave Dog of William of Orange


In 1572, the Pug was chosen as the official dog of the House of Orange in Holland when a silver Pug named Pompey saved the life of his master, William, Prince of Orange. On the night of September 12, l572 a body of Alva's Spanish troops surprised Dutch William's camp. Upon hearing enemy soldiers, Pompey licked William's face and barked noisily until the prince  awoke. William then grabbed Pompey, and ran to safety. To his dying day the Prince ever afterwards kept his dog in his bedchamber. To mark the whole event and the importance of Pompey, an effigy of Willliam and his pug is carved over William's tomb in Delft Cathedral.

Chips The War Dog

During World War II, a shepherd mix dog named Chips was donated by Edward J. Wren of Pleasantville, NY to the war effort. Many citizens donated their dogs for duty. Chips was soon on the front lines acting as a tank guard dog in Africa, Italy, France, and Germany. At one point, he dragged a phone cable across a raging battlefield, so that his platoon could call for backup. The one event Chips is most known for though happened on a beach in Sicily. When he and his handler came under fire from a hidden pillbox, Chips sprang from his handler and dove straight into the enemy emplacement. The soldiers inside came out moments later and surrendered, with Chips behind them. That would be impressive enough, but later that night he also alerted his squad to some approaching Italians, who were promptly captured as well. Chips received a Silver Star and a Purple Heart for his adventures,

but had them stripped away when dogs were reclassified in the military as "equipment," making him the last canine to be officially decorated.

The Loyal Akita Hachiko

In 1924, a professor Hidesaburo Ueno from the University of Tokyo brought his dog, Hachiko, to live with him. The two developed a routine, where the dog would see the professor off at his home and then meet him at the train station later. Then one day, the professor didn't show up at the train station. He'd had a stroke at the university and died. Hachiko was given away to another owner, but he would often escape and turn up at his old home. The dog must have eventually realized that Ueno wasn't coming home, and so he went to look for him at the train station. For ten years, Hachiko would arrive at the train station exactly when the evening train showed up and would wait for his former owner. Other commuters noticed the loyal pooch and began to bring him food and snacks. He even gained national attention when a former student of Ueno's published several articles about him. One artist even

built and erected a bronze statue of the dog while he was still alive. Hachiko died in 1935, but his legend continues to live on in Japan.

In April 1934, a bronze statue in his likeness was erected at Shibuya Station, and Hachikō himself was present at its unveiling. The statue was recycled for the war effort during World War II. In 1948 The Society for Recreating the Hachikō Statue commissioned Takeshi Ando, son of the original artist who had since died, to make a second statue. The new statue, which was erected in August 1948, still stands and is an extremely popular meeting spot.


Greyfriars Bobby

There was a little dog in Edinburgh named Bobby. Bobby was a Skye Terrier, and he so loved his master, John Gray. The two were inseparable for several years. On February 15th 1858, Gray died and was buried in Greyfriars churchyard in the town of Edinburgh. Bobby, who survived Gray by fourteen years, is said to have spent the rest of his life sitting on his master's grave. Bobby died in 1872 and could not be buried within the cemetery itself, since it was regarded as "consecrated" ground. Bobby was buried just inside the gate of Greyfriars Kirkyard, not far from John Gray's grave. Today stands a statue and a granite stone which is inscribed,

"Greyfriars Bobby died 14th January 1872 aged 16 years Let his loyalty and devotion be a lesson to us all"


Copyright 2009-2013, All Rights Reserved